Translate

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Getting Your First Job!

Here I will give you some tips to land you your first job and tips to be successful! I got my first job at my college I attend. I was a Student Clerical Assistant in the Human Resource and Pay Roll Office. It was a nice job and looks great on my resume.


1. Interview Ready!
When the job you applied for asks you to come in for an interview make sure you have an appropriate outfit. You should wear something office appropriate even if it is a fast food restaurant you are applying to. This will make you look professional. I would suggest a nice shirt that isn't revealing with a blazer and some pants or a nice dress that again isn't revealing. Before the interview print a copy of your resume and cover letter and put it in a folder to bring with you. Also make sure you have your ID and your social security card (if you have one).
Picture Link

2.  Manners
Always talk politely and professionally with your future or current coworkers.
3.  Learn the Duties
Go over all the duties you have to do on day-to-day bases. Make sure to listen closely to those who are trying to teach you. When I worked in the office I asked for a sheet on how to correctly answer and use the phones. Don’t be afraid to ask for help!
Picture Link

4. Late or missed days
Always call your supervisor if you are going to be late or out for the day.
5. Keep a planner!
Planners are essential to being organized. Write when you are working so you never miss a day. 
Picture Link

6. Resume
Don’t forget to add this job to your resume. Write the skills your gained from this job such as answering phones correctly or being detail oriented.

No comments:

Post a Comment